Delicious Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Deliciously soft and fluffy rolls, packed with a cinnamon and brown sugar filling and topped with sweet vanilla glaze.
If you've been looking to make easy vegan cinnamon rolls, then this is the recipe for you.
Make sure you've got at least a couple of hours free for this, but I can guarantee that you will not regret giving up some of your time to make these delicious vegan cinnamon rolls.
They're topped with a vanilla glaze, that seeps through into the roll and makes it unbelievable gooey with every bite.
I absolutely love eating these while they're still fresh and warm from the oven. So I only leave them to stand for about 10 minutes when they're baked before I add the vanilla glaze.
Things You'll Need to Bake Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Stand mixer with dough hook.
Baking dish (around 20x30cm)
Sharp knife or dental floss for cutting the dough.
Melt the plant butter and then add the milk to avoid over heating the plant milk mixture an having to wait for it to cool.
Leave the dough to proof in a warm place.
The rolls will rise further in the oven, so don't worry if they don't look like they've risen enough.
Bake until they're a nice light golden brown colour and baked all the way through (you can test this with a skewer if you like)
Make sure your work surface is well dusted with flour before rolling as otherwise the dough may stick.
Heat the milk and butter to 38-43°C to avoid killing off the yeast.
+ 1.5-2.5 hours proofing
For the Rolls 480g plain flour
70g granulated sugar
1 sachet of instant yeast
1 tsp salt
350 ml plant milk
160g vegan spread
1/2tsp vanilla extract
For the Cinnamon Filling
3tbsp ground cinnamon
70g vegan spread (melted)
200g brown sugar
For the Vanilla Glaze
200g icing sugar
some plant milk
a couple of drops of vanilla extract (to taste)
Method 1. In a small saucepan, melt the vegan spread and then add the plant milk and gently heat to 38-43°C. Stir in the vanilla extract.
2. In the bowl of your stand mixer with the dough hook attachment, mix together the flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
3. Slowly pour in the wet ingredients, while running the mixer on the lowest setting and mix for about 10 minutes. Add any extra flour as needed, however the dough is quite soft and sticky anyway so be careful.
4. Put the dough in a large bowl, with lightly oiled sides, cover with a clean tea towel and allow to rise for about 1-1.5 hours until it has double in size.
5. Stir together the filling ingredients just before rolling out the dough.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out into a large rectangle about 30x50cm. Sprinkle the filling mixture evenly over the dough. Gently roll up the dough, by rolling the long end that is closest to you away from you evenly. When finished rolling, push the roll over so the seam is facing down.
7. Using flavourless dental floss or a very sharp knife, cut the roll into 12 equal pieces. Place the rolls into a greased dish (around 20x30cm). Cover lightly and allow to rest somewhere warm for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
8. Preheat the oven.
9. Uncover the rolls and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden on top.
10. Remove from the oven and allow to stand for about 10 minutes before topping with vanilla glaze.
11. Enjoy warm or cold, but they're best eaten when fresh and should be kept in an air tight container for no more than 3 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make these the night before and bake them fresh in the morning?
Absolutely, just complete to stage 7, but don't allow the rolls to rise, cover them with cling film and place in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning allow them to come to room temperature, and let them rise for 30 minutes to 1 hour before baking.
Can I reheat them again before I eat them?
Absolutely, just pop them in the microwave just before you eat them.
Can I use coconut oil instead of vegan spread?
Yes you can! Just swap the vegan spread out and replace with the same amount of coconut oil